top of page

Gaming In The Clouds

Public·12 friends

Fundamental Chess Openings

I just got done reading most of what I wanted of this book from the local library which was pretty neat. I was hoping to purchase it some time later in my chess career, but after reading this book I have a different opinion. It may not be what I was looking for, but it may be what you are looking for. But perhaps this is what an opening manual is suppose to be and my expectations should be different. What I found was that like many other opening manuals they do not show you the strategies for the openings and how to aim for in the middle game. Interestingly this was not always the case, this book pick and choose to tell you some strategies but not others. So if you pick up this book and hope it will tell you middle game strategies for your pet lines or lines that become your pet line it is a gamble. If this were my first opening manual or I did not understand the opening manual that well then this would be the book for you. I do like how it walks you through a line and some variations, not usually what you get in an opening manual. It has just enough variations, but not too much. I hope this helps, and I'm up for any questions.

Fundamental Chess Openings

"... [Fundamental Chess Openings] is not particularly suited for players who are just starting out. I would imagine players rated at least 1400-1500 would get the most benefit from this volume. ..." - FM Carsten Hansen (2010) ://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen128.pdfYou can get an idea about what it is like to try to read this sort of book by looking at this sample: _Fundamental_Chess_Openings.pdf

Seirawan's Winning Chess Openings is not as comprehensive as FCO, but it is probably a lot more readable. If I remember correctly, it was written around 1999. Here is a review: ://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen173.pdf"... For beginning players, [Discovering Chess Openings by John Emms] will offer an opportunity to start out on the right foot and really get a feel for what is happening on the board. ..." - FM Carsten Hansen (2006) ://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen91.pdf"... For inexperienced players, I think the model that bases opening discussions on more or less complete games that are fully annotated, though with a main focus on the opening and early middlegame, is the ideal. ..." - FM Carsten Hansen (2010)"... Everyman Chess has started a new series aimed at those who want to understand the basics of an opening, i.e., the not-yet-so-strong players. ... I imagine [there] will be a long series based on the premise of bringing the basic ideas of an opening to the reader through plenty of introductory text, game annotations, hints, plans and much more. ..." - FM Carsten Hansen (2002) ://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen38.pdf

In recent times, my son has taken a keen interest in learning chess. As I accompany him to the classes and tournaments, I have rekindled my childhood interest for the game to learn something new and be a practice partner for him. This new interest has led me to learn a few things about chess and appreciate the "strategy" that comes with playing the game.

It is said that to be successful in chess, one should have a good balance of strategy and situational awareness. A good strategy will only prepare the player for the game but will NOT win the game. To win games, a player should have a good balance of strategy and intuitiveness to quickly react to his opponents counter attack. It's almost synonymous to a Business Strategy where an organization should have good strategical and tactical plans.

In the last few years, I have been fortunate to build and execute the Data & Analytics strategy for organizations to leverage analytics insights for competitive advantage and provide better customer satisfaction. While studying chess strategies, I recognized the similarities and patterns they present with building an analytics strategy. To illustrate, an opening sequence in a chess game ( the set of initial moves to start the game ) is a fundamental but a powerful strategy to learn and adapt. Typically this opening sequence will determine how a player strategizes the game and secure their position against known flaws that can be exploited by the opponent. Similarly there are some fundamental yet powerful sequences that can be adapted at the early stages of building the analytics strategy. This can lead to a successful execution of the strategy and secure it against the known fallacies.

It all starts and ends here. The business strategy should be the "king" of any organization's chess board. Similar to playing chess any moves the organization makes should align with protecting the king. Typically every organization would have a business strategy for both short and long term success This strategy would have some goals for the organization such as improving profits, driving better customer satisfaction, enhancing product portfolio etc. Lately organizations have added "Digital Transformation" to this list of goals to achieve. Digital transformation enables the organization to consistently achieve these business outcomes repeatedly in an accelerated way.

To illustrate, if the business strategy is to improve customer satisfaction and user experience, the organization may choose to build a new customer portal to deliver this outcome. This customer portal can only be successful when it is enriched by analytics insights and also supported by business process transformation. Just like a chess game, a desired outcome can only achieved only when multiple pieces are cohesively acting together.

I am sure there are lots of other fundamentals that have been considered while building an analytics strategy. I would love to hear from my fellow peers and leaders who have been on a similar journey. 041b061a72